Dr Lisa Adams and Dr Sara MacDermott are joined by Dr Jacquelyn Gatenby to discuss managing menopausal and peri-menopausal symptoms in general practice.
Dr Jacquelyn Gatenby shares her approach, starting with common symptoms, alternatives to Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), who she feels should be offered HRT and the pros and cons of HRT.
They talk about the contraindications and Dr Gatenby’s process for deciding which type of HRT to give, and where testosterone and contraception fit in.
Listen to the podcast episode on PodBean at https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-7zyr4-101f5e8
- Discussion of the history of studies around the safety of hormone replacement therapy: https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/hrt-the-history/
- The British Menopause Society: https://thebms.org.uk/
- The British Menopause Society Breast Cancer Risks factsheet, Nov 2020 (includes the 2019 Collaborative Group for Hormonal Risk Factors and 2020 long term follow-up of the placebo-controlled, randomised Women’s Health Initiative studies): https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/12-BMS-TfC-Fast-Facts-HRT-and-Breast-Cancer-Risk-01C.pdf
- My Menopause Doctor, resource by Dr Louise Newson (includes link to download the Balance app): https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/
- NICE Guidelines: Menopause Diagnosis and Management: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23
- FSRH Clinical Guidelines: Contraception for Women Aged over 40 Years (Aug 2017, amended Sept 2019): https://www.fsrh.org/documents/fsrh-guidance-contraception-for-women-aged-over-40-years-2017/