The COVID pandemic caused an upheaval to the endoscopy services for suspected upper and lower gastrointestinal malignancies. To talk through the changes in how referrals are managed and what that means for general practice and patients, Dr Lisa Adams and Dr Sara MacDermott are joined by GPwSI in Gastroenterology Dr Sophie Nelson and Consultant Gastroenterologist Dr Alistair Makin. The discussion includes using FIT tests to risk stratify patients with suspected lower GI malignancies, the use of the Edinburgh Dysphagia Scale for suspected upper GI malignancies, a reminder of 2 week wait criteria, and little on iron deficiency anaemia and Helicobacter Pylori.
Listen to the podcast episode on PodBean at https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-ecpkc-fdb6a3
- Greater Manchester Gastroenterology Webinar 24th Sept 2020. Speakers: Dr Sophie Nelson, Dr Varinda Athwal (LFTs), Dr Sarah Taylor (FIT testing), Dr Alistair Makin (GI cancers), and Dr May Aldean (advice and guidance) The link includes links to endoscopy pathways: https://gpexcellencegm.org.uk/resources/gm-gastroenterology-gp-education-webinar/#.YEYVCWj7SUk
- Guidelines for managing patients with dyspepsia in primary care: https://gpexcellencegm.org.uk/resources/guidelines-for-managing-patients-with-dyspepsia-in-primary-care/#.YFEP4C2l23U
- NICE Gastrointestinal tract (lower) cancers – recognition and referral (Feb 2021): https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/gastrointestinal-tract-lower-cancers-recognition-referral/
- NICE Gastrointestinal tract (upper) cancers – recognition and referral (Feb 2021): https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/gastrointestinal-tract-upper-cancers-recognition-referral/
- Gateway C (an online cancer education platform for primary care): https://www.gatewayc.org.uk/
- Greater Manchester Upper and Lower GI Cancer guidelines are available on TeamNet for Manchester clinicians
- North West Iron Deficiency Anaemia Guidelines and Coeliac Guidelines: Not yet published but watch out for these soon!