International Pharmacists

These guidelines published by the General Pharmaceutical Council provide details about the route to registering as a pharmacist in Great Britain if you have a qualification from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or if you are a non-EEA national with an EEA qualification.

Download Registering as a pharmacist in Great Britain: overseas (non-EEA) qualified

To be eligible to apply to register as a pharmacist, you will need to complete:

  1. an Overseas Pharmacists Assessment Programme (OSPAP)
  2. 52 weeks of pre-registration training in England, Scotland or Wales signed off as satisfactory by your tutor
  3. the GPhC registration assessment with a pass result

An Overseas Pharmacists Assessment Programme (OSPAP) course is a one-year, full time postgraduate diploma course run by some UK universities. You can find a list of universities that offer OSPAP courses on our website.

The course is designed to make sure that you receive the right education and training to prepare you to practise in the UK, and to complete pre-registration training.

You will need to pay a fee to a university to complete the course, and you will have to consider how to support yourself while you are studying.

You can find a list of universities that offer Overseas Pharmacists Assessment Programme (OSPAP) courses on the General Pharmaceutical Council website at