We are looking for a Senior Receptionist to join our practice team based at Little Lever Health Centre in Bolton.
Your main duty will be to receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
You will provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
Job responsibilities include:
- Handling telephone, face to face requests for appointments, visits, queries and updating the computerised clinical system as appropriate.
- Booking in patients when they arrive at the surgery and directing patients to the appropriate healthcare professional within the Practice, e.g. Doctor, Practice Nurse, Healthcare Assistant.
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice. All visitor entries should be logged in the Visitors’ book.
- Helping new patients register with the surgery – providing the necessary paperwork and checking returned paperwork is complete.
- Using your own judgment and communication skills to ensure that patients with no prior appointment who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary registration and ensure procedures are followed.
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery.
- Enter requests for home visits on Appointment System ensuring careful recording of all relevant details.
- Processing of repeat prescriptions, acute requests in line with protocol and ensure that they are ready for collection within 48 hours by the patient.
- Recall of patients via phone call/sms or letter for the Reviews, Cytology recalls and immunisations, as appropriate and relevant.
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same, and to record accurately all monies received in the designated book.
- Creating Referrals and handling queries regarding referrals.
- Scanning letters and Processing of any correspondence (workflow) to ensuring practice records are up to date
- Notes to be summarised for all patients in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately. Also ensuring deductions are carried out in a timely manner.
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the Management
- Receiving and documenting requests for non-NHS services such as medicals, HGV medicals, travel claim forms, insurance forms, etc
- Any other duties deemed necessary for role.
Patient notes and correspondence
- Retrieve and re-file records as required, ensuring strict alphabetical order is adhered to.
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc are filed promptly and in the correct records, ensuring that all recent correspondence is available when patients are seen.
- Ensure records are kept in good repair with all necessary information on the outside cover clearly visible.
End of Day Duties:
- Ensure the telephone system is operational at the beginning of each day and switched over to night service and answer phone operational at the end of the day with the correct announcement.
- Ensure all patient related correspondence and information is locked away in the filing cabinet overnight.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately when accessing records.
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Health & Safety:
- Using security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines.
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks.
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills.
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards.
- Reporting potential risks identified.
Equality and Diversity:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation.
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues.
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development.
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning, performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
- Participating/completing all out appropriate training requirements for role as per Practice requirements.
- Participation in monthly Practice Meetings.
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance.
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs.
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
- Communicate effectively with other team members.
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers.
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance.
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work.
- Participate in any other duties where appropriate.
- Maintain confidentiality and comply with Practice’s GDPR policy at all times.