The post-holder will support the partners in providing primary medical services, manage a caseload of patients and deal with a wide range of health needs in a primary care setting, ensuring the highest standards of care for all patients. This will include any administration associated with these patients, e.g. repeat prescribing, actioning results, letters and completion of insurance/medical reports.
In accordance with the practice timetable, as agreed, the post-holder will make him/her-self available to undertake a variety of duties including:
• The use of AskMYGP to triage patient requests
• surgery consultations
• telephone consultations and queries
• visiting patients at home
• Providing the Practice Duty Doctor role
• checking, reauthorising and signing repeat prescriptions
• Compiling and issuing computer-generated acute and repeat prescriptions
• Prescribing in accordance with locally agreed or national guidelines
• dealing with queries
• patient test results
• Completion of patient medical reports and examinations (e.g. Insurance Companies) on behalf of the Practice
• Patient medicals e.g. adoption/fostering/HGV
• Management of referral (NHS/private)
• Management of paperwork and correspondence in a timely manner;
• Making professional, autonomous decisions in relation to presenting problems, whether self-referred or referred from other health care workers within the organisation;
• Recording clear and contemporaneous I.T. based consultation notes to the agreed practice standards, including read coding
• Conducting and supporting the practice with audits
• In general the post-holder will be expected to undertake all the normal duties and responsibilities associated with a GP working within primary care
Other responsibilities with the Practice:
• supervision of trainee doctors and members of the practice nursing team
• Awareness of and compliance with all relevant practice policies/guidelines, e.g. prescribing, confidentiality, data protection, Health and Safety, QOF, LCSs and other practice targets.
• A commitment to life-long learning and audit to ensure evidence-based best practice and maintain a portfolio of work for appraisal and revalidation purposes
• Contributing to evaluation/audit and clinical standard setting within the organisation
• Weekly attendance at the Practice Meeting
• Attendance at mandatory practice training, practice meetings and events organised by the practice or other agencies, where appropriate.
• In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately.
• In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
Health & Safety
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
• Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
• Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
• Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
• Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
• Reporting potential risks identified
On arrival at the practice all personnel are to complete a practice induction programme; this is managed by the Practice Business Manager and or the Reception Team Leader.
Equality and Diversity
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
• Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
• Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
In addition to maintaining continued education through attendance at any courses and/or study days necessary to ensure that professional development requirements are met, the post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
• Participation in an annual individual performance review, annual GP Appraisal including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development.
• Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
• Participate and Complete all Practice Mandatory Training using the Bluestream Learning platform
• Endeavour to attend monthly practice organised LTI sessions, even if outside of normal working job plan.
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
• Alert other team members to Clinical Governance issues, quality and risk and participate in Significant Event Analysis reviews
• Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision;
• Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
• Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs
• Effectively manage own time, workload and resources. He/she will also contribute to the overall team-working of the Practice putting the needs of the Practice first.
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
• Communicate effectively with other team members
• Communicate effectively with patients and carers
• Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
• Be respectful and courteous at all times.
Contribution to the planning and implementation of services
The post-holder will:
• Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
• Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect their own work
• Participate in audit where appropriate
• Work with the Partners and practice manager to achieve standards of quality, performance standards, and targets without compromising levels of patient healthcare
• Contribute towards the development and implementation of new standards, policies and procedures that are/will be required of GP Practices now and in the future (as directed by NHS England, the local area team and the CCG
Managing Safeguarding Concerns
If an employee of NHS England or NHS Improvement suspects that a child, young person or adult is at risk of harm or abuse, they should notify their line manager and/or local safeguarding lead, and the local Social Services department, in accordance with Working Together 2015 local policies and procedures.
Ribblesdale Medical Practice helps protect the rights of its patients by providing a means for its employees to report any suspected malpractice, failure or malfunction at the Practice that could potentially endanger, or put at-risk, patients who use its services.
The means for the above procedure is provided through The Public Disclosure Act 1998; often referred to as the ‘Whistleblowing Act’. This Act provides protection for workers from being subjected to any detriment by their employer, and protection against victimisation and dismissal.
The Practice is committed to effectively and promptly dealing with any malpractice, failure or malfunction that occurs and has policies, procedures, and systems in-place to help prevent such occurrences.
• Flexibility to work outside of core office hours
• Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check
• Occupational Health Clearance
For more information about this job vacancy please contact Lynsey Philbin, Practice Manager, Ribblesdale Medical Practice, firstname.lastname@example.org, 0161 762 1650.Connect with Ribblesdale Medical Practice on Workforce Connect
Ribblesdale Medical Practice, Townside Primary Care Centre, 1 Knowsley Place, Knowsley Street, Bury, BL9 0SN (view map). For more information about the practice please visit https://www.ribblesdalemc.nhs.uk.Closing date: 28/10/2022Job reference: RMP/GPJob type: PermanentStaff group: Medical & DentalJob location: BuryEmployer: Ribblesdale Medical PracticeSalary: 10000 per sessionOther pay band: Other