The Arch Medical Practice is looking for a Practice Nurse to provide independent nursing treatment for registered patients as laid down by agreed in house protocols and Central Manchester Primary Community Care Group (CCG), patient group directions (PGDs) and Guidelines.
The Arch Medical Practice is a large, dynamic Training Practice serving 18,500 patients. The practice is based at 175 Royce Road, Hulme, Manchester, M15 5TJ (view map). Find out more about the practice at https://www.thearchmedicalpractice.co.uk.
The post includes:
- Grade: Dependent on experience
- Hours: Dependent on needs of service
- Employers: Drs Segar, Leigh, Hawting, Colabella and Davis.
- Reporting to: Clinical: Nurse Lead (Louise Boulton)
- Administrative: Practice Business Administrator (Sharon McQuillan)
- Responsible to: Nursing and Midwifery Council
- To provide a Practice Nurse Service working to agreed protocols and contracts.
- To develop with others within the practice team standard templates and evidence based workable protocols for Practice Nurse Services.
- To participate and develop specific audit packages to evaluate practice standards of care.
- To provide mentorship and support for new nursing team members.
- To assist in the development of the role of health care assistants and other newly developed clinical services with practice.
New patient health screening / health promotion
- Undertake when appropriate health surveillance/screening, paying particular attention to newly registered patients.
- Recognise and proactively refer patients on to the appropriate services when required.
- Provide lifestyle intervention, including dietary advice, weight management, smoking cessation, etc.
Vaccination / Immunisation health care including travel health
- Identify patient’s vaccination immunisation history and will offer and administer the appropriate vaccines working wth the CCG PGDs and Guidelines.
- Provide immunisations for babies and children in accordance with CCG PGDs and Guidelines.
- Provide specific advice and instruction within baby clinics and travel health clinics.
- Refer babies and patients to alternative health clinics when appropriate.
- Work closely with other nursing team in the ordering and stock rotation of travel, childhood and individual vaccines and equipment for specific patient use or practice needs.
Sexual Health including contraceptive advice
- Will provide a holistic family planning and sexual health service to patients in accordance to agreed Arch Medical Practice protocols. This will include health education and promotion in relation to sexual transmitted infection / HIV population.
- Advises and teaches patient considering use of COC, POP medication, barrier methods and natural methods.
- Advises and assists with the advice and fitting of Intrauterine devices and intrauterine systems.
- Provides an emergency post coital service through provision of medication under the Arch Medical Practice protocols or ensure appropriate referral when deemed necessary.
- Will work closely with other team members to ensure all relevant information is entered onto the electronic medical system (EMIS WEB).
- Advise patients on the national and local cervical cytology and mammography screening programmes.
- Undertake a programme of cytology sampling offering cervical screening to all registered eligible women following the Manchester Cervical Screening Programme.
- Will help to provide organised programmes of care supporting and providing education for registered asthma patients.
- Support and provides education for registered asthma patients.
- Helps to maintain an asthma register.
- Undertake Annual review and scheduled reviews of asthma patients’ referring to the GP’s when necessary.
- Following agreed BTS/ NICE guidelines:
- Initiate peak flow charting for the diagnosis of suspected asthmatics.
- Provides a tailored management plan for newly diagnosed asthmatics.
- Provide patients with their own self management plan.
- Provide asthma advice including the alteration of medication dosage to well controlled asthmatics.
- Will help to provide organised programmes of care, supporting and providing education for registered COPD patients. This will include interpretation of spirometry.
- Provide education for patients and carers in lifestyle management of the disease to avoid further deterioration including smoking cessation.
- Provide patient advice in the appropriate use of drug therapy.
- Ensure patients have a self management plan.
- Refer to COPD community service where appropriate.
- Work closely with the identified lead nurse to provide organised programmes of care supporting and providing education for registered patients with IHD.
- Monitor cardiac patients through annual review.
- Provide patients with primary care support working closely with CCG protocols and NICE guidelines.
- Opportunistically review and advice patients on CHD and IHD prevention lifestyle.
- Work closely with the identified lead nurse to provide organised programmes of care, supporting and providing education for registered hypertensive patients.
- Provide hypertension monitoring and recall, working strictly to British Hypertension guidelines and protocols.
- Makes appropriate referrals to the lead nurse/GP/external agencies.
- Work closely with the identified lead nurse to provide organised programmes of care, supporting and providing education for registered diabetic patients.
- Undertake Annual reviews and scheduled reviews of diabetic patients referring to Lead Nurse/ GPs external agencies when necessary.
- Provide patients with specialised diabetic primary care support working closely with CMCCG protocols and NICE guidelines.
The post holder will provide the service when required.
- Be responsible for identification and control of any possible decontamination within the clinical area and practice setting.
- Recognise the need to strictly adhere to local PCT and Practice agreed protocols and guidelines.
The post holder will be responsible for:
- The development of his/her professional role and nursing competences. This will involve liaising closely with the Nurse Lead and GP members of the practice team.
- Working within his/her professional code of conduct as governed by the NMC professional standard.
- Maintain and uphold patient confidentiality at all times.
- Be provided with training “in house”. However, if training needs are identified which cannot be provided by the practice team, training will be provided but only after formal agreement from the Nurse Lead and or GP employers.
- Carry out audits when necessary to assess evaluate and develop services offered within the practice.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of duties and will be subject to change with prior discussion and agreement.
For more information regarding this opportunity please contact Sharon McQuillan, Practice Business Manager, Sharon.firstname.lastname@example.org, 0161 232 4939.Closing date: 31/03/2022Job reference: PN11022022Job type: PermanentStaff group: Nursing & Midwifery RegisteredJob location: Please selectEmployer: The Arch Medical Practice, 175 Royce Road, Hulme, Manchester, M15 5TJSalary: Depending on experienceSalary range: £30,000 - £40,000