As a Clinical Nurse Lead you have responsibility for leading the team of nursing staff within this practice to provide and maintain a high standard of nursing care for patients as well as providing nursing assistance to the doctors and other members of the primary healthcare team. As Clinical Nurse Lead you will also lead on Infection Prevention and Control for the Practice. The duties will also include all tasks normally undertaken by an experienced RGN and in addition any roles agreed between the nurse and the doctors as appropriate, having regard to current training.
• The post holder will be expected to be familiar with the most recent NMC guidelines and
Publications and practice within them.
• The post holder will ensure effective induction of all nursing staff, together with clinical supervision of trained staff, mentorship and assessment of student nurses and HCAs.
• Take responsibility for own development, learning and performance including participating in clinical supervision and acting as a positive role model.
• Support the development of others in order to maximise staff potential.
• Lead others to make realistic self-assessment of their knowledge and skills, challenging any complacency and actions that are not in the in the interest of the public and/or users of service.
• Act as a clinical leader in the delivery of practice nursing services to patients, ensuring that the needs of the patient are the priority.
• Lead the nursing team in the planning and implementation of local guidelines, protocols and standards, and of local projects or initiatives.
• Promote the role of the nursing team in the provision of care.
• Offer a holistic approach to travel health by providing comprehensive advice to patients prior to travel including; vaccinations and medicines, safe sex, food hygiene, sun protection.
• Offer advice about childhood and adult vaccinations and ensure vaccines are administered under patient group directions.
• Running well person clinics and health promotion programmes by providing a holistic assessment and lifestyle advice on diet, smoking, alcohol intake and exercise. Facilitates change.
• Perform a holistic approach to all chronic diseases.
• Offer advice about family planning by providing a holistic assessment and liaise with other clinicians if appropriate.
• Assessing problems presented opportunistically by patients.
• Able to document accurate Consultations according to NMC guidelines.
• Ensure accurate completion of all necessary documentation associated with patient healthcare and registration with the practice.
• Ensure collection and maintenance of statistical information required for regular audits and adhoc reports.
• Ensures awareness of statutory and local clinical protection procedures, including systems of referral. Ability to recognise signs and symptoms of child abuse.
• Perform a holistic assessment of patients attending for ear irrigation.
• Perform a holistic assessment of patients attending for cervical cytology smear tests.
• Perform venepuncture according to local guidelines.
• Take ECGs.
• Able to recognise and manage anaphylaxis according to current UK guidelines.
• Able to perform Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation according to current UK guidelines.
• Assist in the provision of minor surgery.
• Ability to obtain and document informed consent (either verbal or written).
• Ensure infection control guidelines are maintained.
• Ability to monitor and manage maintenance of stock and equipment to include refrigeration and emergency equipment.
• Confidentially of information gained at work must be preserved at all times.
• Assist patients to identify their health needs.
• Manage and organise individual patient consultations either on the practice premises or domiciliary.
• Chaperoning duties as required by other clinicians.
• Contribute to the assessment of service needs.
• Contribute a nursing perspective to the practice development plan.
• Aware of identification and reporting procedures related to professional standards.
• To attend and participate in all practice meetings as required.
• Ensure effective relationships and communications with the PHCT and other agencies.
• Support the Practice clinical governance agenda.
• Identify changes to clinical practice that are required to implement evidence-based guidelines.
• Identify personal development and training needs in conjunction with the manager.
• Participate in clinical supervision.
• Support others with their training and development needs.
• To participate in continuing education and maintain a contemporary level of professional knowledge and skills.
• The practice will provide opportunities to attend the necessary courses in order to gain the knowledge and experience required.
• Possession of a current NMC registration with identification number and expiry date
• Full UK driving licence
• Provided a current copy of certificate of motor insurance stating business use.
• Maintain good industrial relations.
• Take reasonable care of his/her own safety and that of other persons who may be affected by his/her act or omission.
• Co-operation with the practice to ensure all members of the team adheres to statutory regulations/policies and codes of practice and departments safety rules.
• Offer innovative ways of working and opportunities to facilitate learning.
• Facilitates a learning environment within the team.
• Maintains a caring environment through the support of colleagues.
• In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
• In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
• Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & safety:
The post-holder will implement and lead on a full range of promotion and management of their own and others’ health and safety and infection control as defined in the practice Health & Safety policy, the practice Health & Safety manual, and the practice Infection Control policy and published procedures. This will include (but will not be limited to):
• Acting as First Aider for the practice. To include checking and restocking of First Aid box on a regular basis.
• Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
• Awareness of national standards of infection control and cleanliness and regulatory / contractual / professional requirements, and good practice guidelines
• Responsible for the correct and safe management of the specimens process including collection, labelling, handling, use of correct and clean containers, storage and transport arrangements
• Management and maintenance of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the practice including provision, ordering, availability and ongoing correct usage by staff
• Responsible for hand hygiene across the practice
• Ownership of infection control and clinically based patient care protocols, and implementation of those protocols across the practice
• Active observation of current working practices across the practice in relation to infection control, cleanliness and related activities, ensuring that procedures are followed and weaknesses / training needs are identified, escalating issues as appropriate
• Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks across clinical and patient process
• Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills, and initiate and manage the training of others across the full range of infection control and patient processes
• Monitoring practice facilities and equipment in relation to infection control, ensuring that provision of hand cleansing facilities, wipes etc are sufficient to ensure a good clinical working environment. Lack of facilities to be escalated as appropriate.
• Safe management of sharps procedures including training, use, storage and disposal
• Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy, clean and sterile, and safe way, free from hazards. Initiation of remedial / corrective action where needed or escalation to responsible management
• Actively identifying, reporting, and correction of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
• Keeping own work areas and general / patient areas generally clean, sterile, identifying issues and hazards / risks in relation to other work areas within the business, and assuming responsibility in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness across the business in consultation (where appropriate) with other sector managers
• Undertaking periodic infection control training
• Routine management of own team / team areas, and maintenance of work space standards
• Waste management including collection, handling, segregation, container management, storage and collection
• Spillage control procedures, management and training
• Decontamination control procedures, management and training, and equipment maintenance
• Maintenance of sterile environments
• Be able to identify the risks of health of microbiological and chemical hazards within the working environment according to the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health.
Equality and diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
• Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
• Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
• Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
• Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development and informing and providing copies of certificates to the practice managers
• Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
• Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
• Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
• Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
• Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
• Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
• Communicate effectively with other team members
• Communicate effectively with patients and carers
• Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the implementation of services:
The post-holder will:
• Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
• Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
• Participate in audits where appropriate
For more information about this job vacancy please contact Deborah Clewes, email@example.com.Connect with Alastair Ross Medical Practice on Workforce Connect
Alastair Ross Medical Practice, Breightmet Health Centre, Breightmet Fold Lane, Bolton, Lancashire, BL2 6NT (view map). For more information about the practice please visit http://www.alastairross.nhs.uk.Closing date: 11/04/2023Job reference: LPNJob type: PermanentStaff group: Nursing & Midwifery RegisteredJob location: BoltonEmployer: Alastair Ross Medical PracticeAfC pay band: Band 7