Heaton Norris Medical Practice is looking to recruit a motivated and experienced Practice Nurse to be responsible for the management of the practice nursing team at Heaton Norris Health Centre.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new practice that will be known as Heaton Norris Medical Practrice following the merger of Heaton Norris Health Centre & South Reddish Medical Centre on the 1st April 2022.
Heaton Norris Medical Practice, Heaton Norris Health Centre, Cheviot Close, Heaton Norris, Stockport, SK4 1JX (view map). For more information about the practice visit https://www.drmarshallandpartners.co.uk.
View details of this job vacancy on NHS Jobs website at https://beta.jobs.nhs.uk/candidate/jobadvert/A3709-22-8733. Please send applications to Rhona Franks, Rhona.firstname.lastname@example.org, Practice Manager, South Reddish Medical Centre (Dr Gupta).
Working as part of the practice multidisciplinary team, the post holder will ensure nursing services are delivered effectively to the entitled patient population. The practice nurse will be responsible for a number of clinical areas such as infection prevention and control, health promotion, chronic disease management, health prevention, well women and well man clinics, as well as supporting the practice management team in the reviewing and delivery of clinical policy and procedure.
The Partners are keen to introduce a new Practice Nurse role and for it to become established to support development of the current nursing team which comprises trained and untrained nurses to provide a skill mix that meets the ever increasing needs of the registered population , and the contractual requirements of its main stakeholders NHSE, CCG & CQC etc
It is anticipated that a merged practice and contract will allow the practice to pool its combined workforce to offer a greater range of services to the patients of both practices including coils and implants, ante natal and post-natal care, spirometry, minor surgery, 24-hour ABPM monitoring and phlebotomy.
A larger practice with a combined Nursing team will not only providing greater resilience but also provide us with the opportunity to develop the skillset of the workforce which in turn will allow the Practice to explore further opportunities for development of services.
The following are the core responsibilities of the practice nurse. There may be, on occasion, a requirement to carry out other tasks. This will be dependent upon factors such as workload and staffing levels.
- To act as the Infection Prevention Control (IPC) lead and to work to the IPC Policy providing audits, training, support and evidence of compliance to the practice manager
- To produce the IPC annual statement in conjunction with the practice manager
- To develop, implement and embed health promotion and well-being programmes
- To implement and evaluate individual treatment plans for chronic disease patients that promote health and well-being
- To identify, manage and support patients at risk of developing long term conditions, preventing adverse effects to patients’ health
- To provide routine nursing care to patients as required in accordance with clinical based evidence, NICE and the NSF
- To diagnose and manage acute and chronic conditions
- To prescribe medication for patients in accordance with PGDs and own scope of practice
- To review patient medications to enhance compliance
- To provide guidance to patients in the use of prescribed and over-the-counter medications regarding side effects and dosages
- To oversee the provision of wound care services to patients
- To co-ordinate the provision of travel medicine services
- To request pathology services as necessary
- To process pathology results as required
- To oversee the provision of chronic disease clinics, delivering patient care as necessary, referring patients to secondary/specialist care as required
- To maintain accurate clinical records in conjunction with extant legislation
- To ensure read codes are used effectively by all members of the nursing team
- To ensure the appropriate maintenance and use of chronic disease registers
- To develop, implement, embed and participate in well woman clinics
- To develop, implement, embed and participate in well man clinics
- To chaperone patients where necessary
- To assist GPs with minor surgery when required
- To prioritise health issues and intervene appropriately
- To support the team in dealing with clinical emergencies
- To recognise, assess and refer patients presenting with mental health needs
- To implement vaccination programmes for adults and children
- To support patients in the use of their prescribed medicines or over-the-counter medicines (within own scope of practice)
- To liaise with external services/agencies to ensure the patient is supported appropriately (vulnerable patients etc.)
- To delegate clinical responsibilities appropriately (ensuring safe practice and the task is within the scope of practice of the individual)
- To support the clinical team with all safeguarding matters in accordance with local and national policies
- To understand practice and local policies for substance abuse and addictive behaviour, referring patients appropriately
- To deliver opportunistic health promotion where
In addition to the primary responsibilities, the practice nurse may be requested to:
- Develop and review audit protocols and process for the practice, effectively utilising the audit cycle
- Develop, review and implement nursing protocols in conjunction with the partners
- Support all members of the nursing team, providing guidance when necessary, conducting appraisals and training needs analyses as required
- Participate in local initiatives to enhance service delivery and patient care
- Support and participate in shared learning within the practice
- Continually review clinical practices, responding to national policies and initiatives where appropriate
- Participate in the review of significant and near-miss events applying a structured approach, i.e. root cause analysis (RCA)
- Co-ordinate the nursing team rota, ensuring sufficient staff are available to meet patient needs
- Lead the planning and implementation of changes within the nursing team, enhancing the provision of services to patients
- Support the practice team with the reviewing and implementation of practice policies and protocols, ensuring conformance to extant legislation