We are a friendly general practice based in Pikes Lane Health Centre and are looking to recruit a full-time medical receptionist.
Previous GP receptionist experience within a medical setting would be an advantage, though not essential. The ability to be fully flexible to work extra hours to cover for holidays and sickness is essential.
We are a fully computerised Practice, so basic IT skills are required. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and able to work under pressure to meet deadlines. You will need to be a confident, loyal, hard-working team player with excellent communication skills and a can-do approach to your work.
Main duties of the job
Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive, professional and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
We are a GP practice based in a Health Centre in Bolton. Our practice team consists of GP’s, C.E.O., Practice Manager , Practice Nurse and a team of receptionists.
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice.
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments.
- Using your own judgment and communication skills ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover and ensure procedures are completed.
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery.
- Ensure the telephone system is operational at the beginning of each day and switched over to night service and answer phone operational at the end of the day with the correct announcement.
- Enter requests for home visits on pc ensuring careful recording of all relevant details.
- Action repeat prescription requests and ensure that they are ready for collection by the patient within 48 hours.
- Prepare lists and notes if required for all surgeries and clinics held, ensuring completion of all associated paperwork.
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same, and to record accurately all monies received in the designated book.
- Enter patient information on to the computer as required.
- Scan letters and action accordingly.
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately.
- Patient notes and correspondence:
- Retrieve and re-file records as required, ensuring strict alphabetical order is adhered to.
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc are filed promptly and in the correct records, ensuring that all recent correspondence is available when patients are seen.
- Ensure records are kept in good repair with all necessary information on the outside cover clearly visible.
- When last to leave at the end of the day, ensure that the building is totally secured, internal lights are off and the alarm activated. (When caretaker is not present. Please note there will always be two members of staff present and details of who to call in an emergency etc will be given when such an event arises)
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the Partners, the Practice Manager, Deputy Manager and Practice Administrator
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately.
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others health, safety and security to include:
- Using security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines.
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks.
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills.
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards.
- Reporting potential risks identified.
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of peoples rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation.
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues.
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development.
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
- Participation in monthly Practice Meetings.
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the teams performance.
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs.
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members.
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers.
- Recognise peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance.
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work.
- Participate in audit where appropriate.
Knowledge and Skils
- Use of Emis system
- Previous General Practice experience
Closing date: 21/04/2023Job type: PermanentJob location: BoltonEmployer: Al-Fal Medical GroupSalary: Depending on experience
For more information about this job vacancy please contact Salma Patel, Practice Manager, Al-Fal Medical Group, firstname.lastname@example.org, 01204963616.Connect with Al-Fal Medical Group on Workforce Connect