Preparations are underway across the Greater Manchester health and social care system to ensure we are ready to deliver a Mass Vaccination Programme (MVP) now that the Pfizer/BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine has been approved for use by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership Screening and immunisation team, supported by a number of other teams, have been working tirelessly to prepare for the delivery of the largest vaccination programme in our history. We will be providing three different delivery methods:
- Hospital hubs – where we know the Pfizer vaccine can be stored safely
- Vaccination centres – large sites convenient for transport networks
- Local vaccine services – provided by GPs and Pharmacies
Now that we have a vaccine that has been confirmed as safe and effective by the MHRA, we can begin to roll it out to those groups who the independent Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation has identified in order of priority, when the supplies are available to us.
Delivering the Pfizer vaccine is complex as it needs to be stored at very cold temperatures and moved carefully, so at first we will only deliver it from hospital hubs once the vaccines are shipped into the country, inspected by PHE and distributed.
Supporting the GM MVP
To support the MVP, the Greater Manchester Primary Care team are working to increase the workforce and have reached out to Dental, Pharmacy and Optometry colleagues as well as students. Anyone wishing to support this programme should complete the registration form at https://share.hsforms.com/1jlbQhcF8T7K077k_mOgoCQ2lu67
Greater Manchester Workforce bank supported by Lantum is open and accessible to all General Practices, Primary Care Networks (PCNs) and all partners who deliver primary care and provide support during the COVID pandemic. Services can sign up or update an account at http://info.lantum.com/greatermanchester_pm
The GM Workforce bank also has a free rostering tool which can be used to manage staff shifts. Examples of services already successfully using this tool across Greater Manchester include Out Of Hours and Contact Tracing. Download the GM Workforce bank FAQs.
GM MVP documentation for primary care
- Urgent preparing for general practice to contribute to a potential COVID-19 vaccination programme
- Urgent preparing for general practice to contribute to a potential COVID-19 vaccination programme: Annex A: Indicative Enhanced Service Specification: COVID-19 Vaccination Programme 2020/21
- Urgent preparing for general practice to contribute to a potential COVID-19 vaccination programme: Annex B: General practice site designation process
- Urgent preparing for general practice to contribute to a potential COVID-19 vaccination programme: Annex B COVID-19 Vaccination Programme 2020/21 General Practice Site Designation Process Form
- Supporting general practice – additional £150 million of funding from NHS England