Recognising the current pressure on GPNs and the wider primary care workforce, elements have been brought forward to increase the resilience of staff, including a virtual support package that can be adapted and co-designed with local systems to embed new ways of working.
CARE (Connected, Authentic, Resilient, Empowered) is a learning and development programme that empowers general practice nurses and other primary care professionals to play a key role in their primary care network, to shape services based on population health needs and to strengthen their leadership. Focusing on wellbeing and building and harnessing resilience, the programme uses digital technology to connect primary care professionals and to support joined-up, multi-professional working.
Greater Manchester will be supported and work in partnership with National Association of Primary Care (NAPC), the General Practice Nursing 10 Point Plan team at NHS England and NHS Improvement, Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes (BLMK) ICS and specialist coaches ShinyMind.
CARE’s practical and person-cantered approach has already led to more joined-up working in primary care networks in BLMK, bringing together a range of health and social care professionals as a complete care community. This is not only helping with immediate acute care need but is also supporting patients whose long-term conditions are likely to deteriorate during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the video below Dr Johnny Marshall, President, NAPC, outlines the core elements of the CARE programme.
Information for potential participants
- Case study about Luci Partridge https://napc.co.uk/case-study-luci-partridge
- Case study about Pete Roberts https://napc.co.uk/pete-roberts-specialist-paramedic-practitioner
- CARE Programme video playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3Zt2-n_YQ&list=PLb5o66-HUCCiY0hsZTIhXSFINrMKw1YjR
- Karen Storey, NHSE/I Primary Care Nursing Lead, CARE programme video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfaNPKv-s5w
- Janet Thornley, BLMK Strategic GPN lead, CARE programme video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t23hesGV7o and article Creating system leaders and sparking creativity across BLMK ICS https://napc.co.uk/creating-system-leaders-and-sparking-creativity-across-blmk-ics
Information for Primary Care Networks and system leaders
- Dr Johnny Marshall,President NAPC, CARE programme video https://youtu.be/BXJbrPjxPsc
- Dr Nav Chana, ex-Chair NAPC, CARE programme video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqMyoT5NScw
- Paul Vaughan, NHS England and NHS Improvement, explores how the CARE programme values the talents and role of general practice nurses, and supporting them to harness their skills to positively impact patient health https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdoydMQUGI
- NAPC article CARE leads to system-wide improvement in BLMK https://napc.co.uk/care-leads-to-system-wide-improvement-in-blmk
A key element of the support package is a wellbeing and resilience app – developed by ShinyMind with the NHS – that supports staff with their own health and to connect with others across the system. The app allows teams to connect with one another quickly and easily and create a positive and compassionate community of support. Read more about the ShinyMind app at www.shinymind.co.uk/shinymind-app.