The Black Health Improvement Programme (BHIP) is a culturally appropriate education, training and support package designed for primary care staff and other healthcare professionals.
The programme is free to your practice and endorsed and delivered by the Caribbean and African Health Network (CAHN). To be an early adopter of this programme and begin the process of making your GP practice inclusive and culturally aware, please use the following sign up form https://bit.ly/3qmfONG.
The programme has been developed in response to a community consultation with the Caribbean & African community and healthcare professionals who wanted better insights about the Black community to improve health outcomes. Based upon this evidence Greater Manchester Health & Social Care Partnership (GMHSCP) commissioned this programme to help address the health and wellbeing inequities that have been unaddressed for decades and further exposed by COVID-19.
BHIP uses evidence through research which highlights the disparities in health outcomes across a number of health and wellbeing measures. It offers a robust tool for GP Practices to improve outcomes of their patients from the Black community. We offer a quality assurance service that provides awareness of a range of issues that impact upon the engagement of Caribbean and African people in relation to their health and wellbeing.
BHIP package consists of:
- A dedicated period of taught culturally appropriate engagement (virtual training in 2021).
- Access to a bank of video and audio materials across specific and prevalent health conditions found in the Black community.
- A helpline for advice and referral for targeted intervention or appropriate services.
- Access to posters and resources to display in your practice.
- Accreditation following training and assessment, with support to improve.
We are offering this programme free to the practice and keen to see your service develop into one that continuously helps to improve the health and wellbeing experience of Caribbean and African people in Greater Manchester.
The video below provides an introduction to BHIP.